Here is the last of this month’s swap cards. The theme for this swap is “On the Farm”. I have to confess, this card could also have qualified for the “Bought It Never Used It” swap, as this was the first time I have used most of these dies.
Here is the card opened up:
And here it is closed:
Cardstock: White, Black, Dark Brown, Rusty Brown, Light Brown, Cream, Pink, Dark Green, Medium Green, Light Green
Paper: Kaisercraft: “Under the Gum Leaves”
Dies: Paper Roses: Windmill Large
Elizabeth Craft: Karen Burniston Design Snowball the Sheep, Virgil the Pig, Cocoa the Horse, Brownie the Cow, All Seasons Tree, Fence Pop Stand, Lots of Pops
Stamps: Darkroom Door: Pebbles Background
Inks: Tim Holtz Oxide Inks: Mowed Lawn, Broken China, Walnut Stain
Other: Glue, Double Sided tape, Foam tape
I started by trimming down a 6 X 6 card base. I found this great tutorial from Karen Burniston, which gave some tips to using the Lots of Pops dies. I hadn’t used this die before, and wasn’t sure how to use it effectively. Karen showed how it can be trimmed down, to create smaller pop ups, which were exactly what I was after. I’m not sure I would have thought to do this. Using the main die, I cut the pop up, and then trimmed it down to three separate pop ups, two smaller ones for each side, and a larger one for the centre, then attached them inside the card. In hindsight, I should have done the stamping and sponging before I attached them…lesson learned 🙂 I then stamped the Pebbles Background stamp in Walnut Stain, and sponged with Mowed Lawn oxide inks.
Next, I sponged Broken China oxide ink. I must confess, I am late on the Oxide Ink bandwagon. Looking at photos online, does not do justice to what these inks can do, and how easy they are to sponge.
Next, it was time for some SERIOUS die cutting…Cow, horse, sheep, pig, fences, tree, clouds and windmill…then to glue everything together. This is probably the most die cutting I have done for one card. I love these cute animals from the Karen Burniston range, I had used the sheep and pig previously, but this was the first time I have used the cow and horse, or the tree and fence.
You can’t really see it in the photo, but I glued two fences together, to give the fence a little extra depth. While the dies were still on the cut outs, I sponged over the dies, to give a wood grain effect.
I attached the corrugated iron paper to the front of the card with double sided tape, then attached the fence and animals with foam tape.
I was happy with how the inside came up, but was unsure about having the overhang from the tree and windmill when the card was closed. I thought out trimming these off even with the card edge, but ended up not doing this, as it would have spoiled the inside picture. Note to self, next time have all the elements cut out first, then work where the pop ups need to be placed…or make a wider card 🙂
I hope you like the card Debbie. I know I had a lot of fun making it, and am now wondering why I haven’t used these dies more.
Bye for now,